Having astonished everyone in the European Championship 2016, Northern Ireland will face Germany to finish at the top in the Group C on Tuesday the Parc des Princes in France’s capital.
Group C emerge as one of the numerous “Groups of death’ at this Euro cup. Currently, Germany is at the top followed by Poland. There is one more encounters in the Group C-Poland vs Ukraine. Ukraine is on the fourth place, if Poland won over Ukraine and Northern Ireland won over Germany then Poland will top the group. If Ukraine dominated Poland, then the fight for the first place will remain between Germany and Northern Ireland.
Clash for the top for Northern Ireland against Germany
Die Mannschaft were disappointed with a 0-0 draw against Poland in their most recent outing, and Michael O’Neill’ men won the crucial game against Ukraine by 2-0.
Northern Ireland manager Michael O’Neill will decide whether he want to go with the winning combination that beat Ukraine or do some changes.
If he want to strong their defense then Conor McLaughlin and Paddy McNair may come back into the team.
Germany coach Joachim Low also has to about changes if he want to give another chance to out-of-form Mario Gotze up front or play with striker Mario Gomez.
Sami Khedira, Jerome Boateng, and Mesut Ozil are one booking from a ban.
- Both teams have played 14 games out of which Northern Ireland have won only twice (D4, L8).
- Northern Ireland won those two games 1984 European Championship qualifying matches. This win was historic that a team has beaten Germany/West Germany both home and away in a qualifying campaign.
- Current assistant boss of Northern Ireland Jimmy Nicholl played in both of those fixtures.
- Northern Ireland have won their game away in November 1983 by 1-0 away against Germany. N Whiteside scored the winning goal in that game.
- In 1958 World Cup, they have met last at a major tournament. They drew 2-2 in that encounter in Malmo as both teams progressed to the quarter-finals.
- Northern Ireland have won 13 games of their last 14 internationals and lost one. (W7, D6).
- In November 2014 while playing with Romania they lost 2-0 from then, they have not conceded more than one goal in their last 15 internationals.
- Last 10 goals of Northern Ireland seven came from four corners and three from indirect free-kicks.
- In Euro 2004 was the last time when Germany failed to make it out of the group stages in a major tournament. Since then, they’ve made appearance at every single major competition.
- Germany have lost only one, drawing two and won 12 of their last 15 games at major tournaments.
- In last seven games played at Euros by Thomas Muller, he hasn’t score or assisted a single goal. In this Euro too he He’s had just one shot on target in 180 minutes.
- In 13 World Cup games, Muller has scored 10 goals and provided six assists.
Goalkeepers: Roy Carroll, Alan McManus, Michael McGovern
Defenders: Craig Cathcart, J Evans, Gareth McAuley, L McCullough, Conor McLaughlin, A Hughes, Lee Hodson, Chris Baird, P McNair
Midfielders: S Davis, O Norwood, Corry Evans, Jamie Ward, S Dallas, Niall McGinn, S Ferguson
Forwards: W Grigg, K Lafferty, C Washington, J Magennis
Forwards: Mario Goetze, Mario Gomez, Andre Schuerrle, Lukas Podolski
Defenders: J Boateng, Mats Hummels, B Hoewedes, Emre Can, Jonas Hector, Shkodran Mustafi, Antonio Ruediger
Goalkeepers: B Leno, Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Manuel Neuer
Midfielders: J Draxler, Thomas Mueller, Joshua Kimmich, Sami Khedira, Julian Weigl, Toni Kroos, Mesut Ozil, Leroy Sane, Bastian Schweinsteiger